VOTING AT ELIZABETHTOWN-LEWIS CENTRAL SCHOOL
A person shall be entitled to vote in school district elections for the Elizabethtown‐Lewis Central School, any school district election and in all matters placed upon the official ballot, if such person is:
- A citizen of the United States;
- At least 18 years of age;
- A resident within the school district for a period of 30 days next preceding the election at which such person desires to vote;
- Qualified to register or is registered to vote in accord with section 5‐106 of the Election Law which excludes:
- those convicted felons who have not been pardoned or had their rights of citizenship restored,those whose maximum sentence of imprisonment has not expired; and/or those who have not been discharged from parole;
- persons adjudged mentally incompetent by a court.
The Board provides for the use of absentee ballots for voting. Such ballots shall be available for the election of members of the Board of Education, the adoption of the school district budget, and on questions and propositions submitted to the voters of the district.
The District Clerk must receive the application at least seven (7) days prior to the election, if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter; or the application must be received by the day before the election, if the ballot is to be personally delivered.
The application must be completed and returned, and the individual must verify therein that he/she meets all voting requirements, and explain the reason for his/her inability to appear in person to vote.
In particular, the individual must explain that he/she will be unable to appear to vote in person on the day of the school district election because he/she:
- Will be a patient in a hospital, or unable to appear personally at the polling place on such day because of illness or physical disability;
- Duties, occupation, business, or studies will require him/her to be outside of the county or city of his/her residence on such day;
- Will be on vacation outside the county or city of his/her residence on such day; or
- Will be detained in jail awaiting action by a grand jury; awaiting trial; or is confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.